Every business person wants to succeed. Business, especially when you are playing a vital role in your organisation could be very challenging. Success is a primary index in any business venture or outfit. Strict business conversation is forthright and the goal is simple: Get results. Many managers have little sympathy with intention or efforts without the targeted result. However we all know that to get results some things must be in place and some of those things are the focus of this article.
1. A positive attitude is very vital in any business that must succeed. The mindset should be profit oriented. The passion to make money must be strong that nothing can deter it. It is important to develop a mission statement, stating your reasons for the business and what you want to achieve within a defined time frame.
2. Get knowledge. Whatever you want to do in life whether it is to increase your earnings or enhance your status in life, find out what there is to learn, there are always things to learn. This learning should continue all life and should be diverse, so develop a habit to study, to observe and put things learnt to practice from time to time.
3. Enjoy your work: – many people do not show positive enthusiasm to work, the very thought of work irritate them, that attitude to work is wrong. We must love our work, and count it joy to be useful and productive. Work is vital part of life. The world is searching for workers not just “talkers”. It is important that we do our work excellently and in very creative ways.
4. Get into vital connections: you need a link to people and places. Connection is a vital part of the journey to greatness. We all have the opportunity to connect with people almost every day, if we wish to. Make new friends, keep in touch with old acquaintances and try to mend soiled relationship. Join social networking groups, visit local community groups, and so on. You must open up if you wish to connect with people.
5. Find time to think. “As a man thinks in his heart so he is”. Do not be too busy to think. When a man fails to think, he is ready to sink. Our thoughts must be creative, productive and inspiring. It is not just any kind of thinking that produce good results; good results come from good thinking. Think big, think possibilities, and think thought that are beyond your comfort zone. Quit all negative and bitter thoughts.
6. Learn to appreciate people for their contribution to your life. Appreciate little or big contribution. Appreciate your customers and your staff. You could send gifts to your customers for their patronage and your staff for being there. Often we think of our staff in funny ways but I have learnt that they may not be there; they could be somewhere else but chose to work with us.
7. Respect the right of others. Other people have a right to live and to find their joy and happiness. Do not just tolerate people, respect their right to live. Relate with people in ways you wish to be related to. Every person matters in the society or in an organisation, we do not need to have something to gain from people before we respect there rights.
8. Do good business. Your business must contribute to others values. Do not make a man pay you his money for nothing. Offer value.
9. Be patient. There is this craze to “become big” in a day. The truth is that life is not a straight course; there are mountains and valleys along the path of life. We are to patiently work our way to the top. Attempts to rise to the top in a sudden flight often leads to corrupt practises, hurts and action injurious to others.
10. Take responsible Risk: Many do not like the word risk. It matters in success. It is an essential element that separates the successful from the unsuccessful. Your attitude to responsible risk should be positive. Remember nothing ventured, nothing gained. The secret to winning is learning the risk game and learning along your part of action. Stop waiting for the magic time – the perfect time. It may or may not come, but life keeps going. Do not wait for the approval of all people, someone to sponsor you or when all the money is ready. Step out and other things will follow.
11. You need rest to refresh your body to function. All visions and dreams can only be fulfilled through the vehicle of the human body. It does not matter the intelligence and the zeal to always be at the place of action, when the body dies, you stop. All that could happen after will be after you. Avoid burnout.
12. Providing leadership: I have battled with a definition for leadership for years I have led various groups of people, from youth. I have led students’ union, Christian and secular organizations. I have led a national students group and have been a scout and Boys’ brigade leader. I have organized and participated in leadership trainings. I have always wondered if there is anything like a right to leadership. There is none. In every community and society issues arise that pose some concern and challenge to the people, it is in identifying a need, the possible solution and volunteering to champion the course of action that will bring solutions, that leaders are made. Lots of people love the glory and accolades that leadership brings but it just ends at that. Many leadership trainings aim at how to control the people, rather than how to solve challenging concerns. Why are some communities and groups more habitable, progressive and developed? –
The answer is that there is true and accountable leadership; a leadership that is visionary and caring. Leadership should provide focus. It should inspire and accommodate the diverse views on how to make the group or community the best it could be.
13. You must have good customer relations. Customers are the most important part of any successful business.
14. Business promotions. You must make consistent effort to get you business to the targets – the customers. There are various ways to do this. You should advertise your business in ways that will attract people to it. Try advertising online. Tell friends about what you do. Print flyers and poster.
15. Persistence. You must never give up. Remember quitters never win and winners never quit.
1. Holy Bible
2. John Maxwell: – Thinking for a Change
3. Jack Canfield: – How to get from where you are to where you want to be.